The Methodist Church, Matlock Circuit
Circuit Public Issues/DSR Committee
Notes from the Circuit Public Issues Committee Meeting
held at 11.00 on Saturday, 10th February
at Dale Road Manse.
The meeting commenced with a prayer.
Representatives from all circuit churches were present except Winster who sent their apologies.
A review of the activities undertaken since the last meeting [05/02/00] was undertaken. These included, in no particular order-
- The Circuit DSR event held at Bank Road in June concerning the Siberian street children.
- Harvests at Tansley, Hackney and Hillside which targeted homelessness in Derbyshire using speakers from the Duffield Christian Council Homlessness Group. Suitable donations of items were dispatched to the centre.
- Dale Road used DDDC Housing Officer, Jenny Bedford, in an evening meeting to tell them about the homeless in Matlock. Collections were made on Homelessness Sunday in January.
- On 2nd December a contingent of Methodists joined an ecumenical bus trip to Drop the Debt Campaign in London, which culminated in a rally in Trafalgar Square.
- Stuart and Christine visited the NCH family drop in centre in Derby.
- A complaint was made to the Public Broadcasting Standards Commission and ITV/Carlton concerning scenes in a programme at 17.30. The programme has since disappeared from the schedules.
Future events included-
- Stuart providing a How green is your church workshop at the Belper Circuit meeting on March 14th.
- ECO Church Congregation, Going for Green campaign starting at Nottingham on Thursday, 13th March 01.
- The Riding Lights Theatre Company are visiting Matlock with a production Love-15 from 30th April to 6th May.
- With the imminent election it was decided to try and arrange an open meeting with all the local candidates, similar to the successful one held 5 years ago. Dates in the week commencing 23rd April were suggested making the assumption that the election will be held on or around 3rd May 01. Don Singleton was suggested as the Chair of this meeting. A further committee meeting will be held when dates are confirmed.
Themes for harvests were discussed and these included-
- Collection of tools for Work Aid and Tools for Self Reliance - successfully used by Tansley.
- Shoe box appeal,
- (Aqua Boxes)
It was felt inappropriate at this time for all churches in the circuit to use the same theme.
Other issues of concern included-
Note was made of-
- MHA sponsored board game events during half term. (this half term)
- Teddies for tragedies - an attempt would be made to obtain a pattern and training provided for incompetent knitters.
It was suggested and then agreed that next years Public Issues/DSR events would centre around BHF Healthy Life Style ideas.
Stuart volunteered to kick start the year off in September with a sponsored bike ride from from Lands End to John OGroats - or it might have been to the cafe at Elton!
The meeting closed at 12.00 with the Benediction.
For more details Ring (01629) 734996 or Email email@example.com.
Back to the Public Issues Index.